The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has said about 1, 200 artisans who specialise in assorted fabric making industry have been rendered jobless due to fire outbreak on at Tejuosho market, Yaba area, Lagos.
This was contained in a press release signed and made available to journalist Wednesday by NEMA South-west director, Ibrahim Fainloye, who acted in the capacity of the public relations officer. He confirmed the incident in a post disaster loss and needs assessment that over 1,600 industrial, weeping and straight sewing machines were lost in a mid afternoon fire disaster that struck the popular Tejuoso Market.
He added that the fire which cause cannot be confirmed but rumored to have been by someone trying to fill up a working generator which caught fire and could not be brought under control.
The Chairman of the traders, Comrade Godwill Okorie, contested this. He said the way the fire started and spread to the whole market within minutes make him dispute the general rumour.
He appealed to loan facilitators to consider the calamities and grant more loans to enable them start off and redeem all the loans.
While consoling the traders, the director general, NEMA, Alhaji Mustapha Habib Ahmed, represented by Ibrahim Farinloye, urged them not to see the situation as a temporary set- back but as God’s trial that would bring greater success.
Leave a Reply