US Secretary of State, Anthony Blinken has said there are “very credible reports of deliberate attacks” on civilians in Ukraine by Russian soldiers.
Blinken stated this in an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper on Sunday.
According to him, the attacks would be considered a war crime.
Blinken also noted that the US has begun documenting evidence to determine whether or not war crimes have been committed against Ukrainian civilians.
“What we’re doing right now is documenting all of this, putting it all together, looking at it and making sure that, as people and the appropriate organisations and institutions investigate whether war crimes have been or are being committed, that we can support whatever — whatever they’re doing,” he said.
“So, right now we’re looking at these reports. They’re very credible and we’re documenting everything,” he added.
Karim Khan, an International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor, last week said he had opened an investigation into possible war crimes and crimes against humanity in Ukraine.
“I have notified the ICC Presidency a few moments ago of my decision to immediately proceed with active investigations in the situation. Our work in the collection of evidence has now commenced,” Khan had said.